Data protection declaration
Please follow this link for more information on our data protection policy.
The Oroboros Ecosystem
- Founded in 1994 by Dr. Erich Gnaiger, Oroboros Instruments boasts over 25 years of experience in mitochondrial physiology, making us the expert in mitochondria and cell research. Labs, hospitals, research centers, pharmaceutical and biotech companies in 49 countries are benefiting from our gold standard Oroboros O2k technology for high-resolution respirometry (HRR). The O2k-Network includes and connects over 600 reference laboratories worldwide.
- On our Bioblast website, including MitoPedia and O2k-Open Support pages, a wealth of information and scientific knowledge is available, ranging from O2k-Procedures to O2k-Publications. Our aim is to provide more than just the physical means to conduct mitochondrial research. By offering an open resource in addition to making ourselves available for excellent customer and technical support, we empower our customers to design, implement and interpret meaningful experiments. Further benefitting our customers, we organize international O2k-Workshops on a regular basis, allowing for hands-on practical training provided by our experts. Our open-access preprint server, MitoFit Preprint Archives, encourages and supports the sharing of knowledge in the field. This plays into our strong belief in having an open source platform for our customers and network.
- Our international team has the skills, knowledge, and creativity to bring innovation and excellence to high-resolution respirometry. By actively participating in research along with hosting international researchers in the fully equipped Oroboros MitoFit Laboratory, our science specialists fully understand what is required to conduct excellent research. They develop tested and trusted O2k instruments and protocols that enable researchers and clinicians to study mitochondrial function in cancer, diabetes, aging, neurodegeneration, exercise physiology and mitochondrial medicine.
- Oroboros in numbers
- >25 years of experience
- >1100 instruments in 49 countries
- >1000 users in public and private research facilities
- >140 international workshops on HRR
- >3400 publications on O2k applications
- >600 experienced laboratories building an O2k-Network for information sharing
- Our Mission - Our mission is a commitment to reproducibility through precise quality control, standardization of protocols and nomanclature, and collaboration of scientists in our O2k Network.
- Our Vision - Our vision is to be the driving force in mitochondrial physiology by equipping biomedical labs worldwide with our instruments and knowledge to support key developments in mitochondrial research and medicine.
- Coroporate Social Responsibility - Our culture includes respect and support for our community as well as concern for the environment.
- » Keyword: Oroboros Ecosystem
- Mitochondria and Cell Research - cooperation and feedback in science
- Oroboros O2k represents the unique concept of the modular O2k-system for high-resolution respirometry (HRR). The O2k is applied worldwide in areas ranging from fundamental bioenergetics to the analysis of mitochondrial and metabolic diseases, advancing the rapidly growing field of preventive mitochondrial medicine.
- At Oroboros Instruments, we follow the strategy of direct support and distribution with best prices offered worldwide, supported by expert national distributors. Our flagship package is the O2k-FluoRespirometer for mitochondria and cell research. Small amounts of biological samples can be used for bioenergetic and OXPHOS analysis, ranging from isolated mitochondria, permeabilized tissues and permeabilized cells to living cells and tissue slices. The modular O2k-Concept is supported by the specially developed O2k-Software, DatLab 7, with high flexibility for extension by add-on O2k-Modules or economical first steps with the Startup O2k-Respirometer. The high-resolution O2k technology emphasizes quality and scientific output of research in mitochondrial physiology and pathology.
- » Keyword: O2k Products
Oroboros MitoFit Laboratory
- Comprising of two labs - one team, the MitoFit Lab does more than just research and development for our instruments. While their thorough testing and innovations are key to creating our robust and high-quality products, our expert scientists also participate in international projects, run samples for collaborators, provide training to our customers, and host visiting researchers. Their expertise is at your fingertips. This scientific support is an important component of the Oroboros Ecosystem.
- Started in June 2019 this EU Framework Programme Horizon 2020-funded Phase 2 project has the overall goal to complete the technical and scientific development of the new NextGen-O2k and prepare it for market launch.
- Funded by the European Union Framework Programme Horizon 2020 COST Action since September 2016, the MitoEAGLE network aims to improve our knowledge on mitochondrial function in health and disease related to Evolution, Age, Gender, Lifestyle and Environment through collaboration, standardization and strategic dissemination.
- This Marie Skłodowska-Curie Action (ITN) supports eleven PhD fellows to complete research projects between October 2016 and September 2020 in the three critical areas: biomarker discovery, molecular resistance mechanisms and metabolic transformation mechanisms.
- During this 4-year Marie Skłodowska-Curie Action (ITN)-funded project, a network of seven different countries will aim to dissect the metabolic remodeling in human cancers, placing the focus on the role of mitochondria and bridging basic research to the improvement/development of therapeutic strategies.
- The European project "mtFOIE GRAS", led by the Center for Neuroscience and Cell Biology (CNC), University of Coimbra (UC), which aims at promoting the mobility of scientists and technicians between academia, companies and associations, was launched on 14 June 2017 with funding from the Action Marie Skłodowska-Curie Action (RISE).
- The key aim of the REMIX Network, funded until September 2020 by the Marie Skłodowska-Curie Action (ITN), is to combine the skills of European research groups to provide strategic training of the next generation of scientists through a programme that will progress in the elucidation of the molecular mechanisms and pathways that regulate mitochondrial gene expression.
- Starting in November 2019, the EU Framework Programme Horizon 2020 (WIDESPREAD) funded project "FAT4BRAIN" aims to establish a network of excellence focused on the pivotal and common role of fatty acid metabolism in the development of neurological disorders, an issue of utmost biomedical and societal interest.
- SPIN is an international, interdisciplinary PhD Program for the training of an elite of young researchers that leads to an EU conform PhD (Doctor of Philosophy) degree in Neuroscience. Graduates receive an advanced professional qualification in teaching and research that is funded by the FWF Austrian Science Fund.
- » Keyword: MitoFit Laboratory