The Free ET-capacity, ≈E, is the ET-capacity corrected for LEAK respiration, ≈E = E-L. ≈E is the respiratory capacity potentially available for ion transport and phosphorylation of ADP to ATP. Oxygen consumption in the ET-pathway state, therefore, is partitioned into the free ET-capacity, ≈E, and LEAK respiration, LP, compensating for proton leaks, slip and cation cycling: E = ≈E+LP (see free OXPHOS capacity).
Reference: Gnaiger 2014 MitoPathways
MitoPedia topics: EAGLE
Communicated by Gnaiger E 2014-09-21, edited 2015-01-19.
Coupling control states for ≈E
- Reference state, ZX: ET-capacity; E = E´-Rox
- Background state, YX: LEAK respiration; L = L´-Rox
- Metabolic control variable, X=ZX-YX: Scope of uncoupler stimulation, Free ET-capacity; ≈E = E-L
Flux control factor
- » Flux control factor, FCF
- Coupling control factor, 1-YX/ZX: E-L coupling control factor, ET-coupling efficiency: j≈E = ≈E/E =(E-L)/E = 1-L/E