Oroboros - Cooperation and Feedback in Science
- 1 O2k-Feedback 2021
- 2 O2k-Feedback 2020
- 3 O2k-Feedback 2019
- 4 O2k-Feedback 2018
- 5 O2k-Feedback 2016
- 6 O2k-Feedback 2015
- 7 O2k-Feedback 2014
- 8 O2k-Feedback 2013
- 9 O2k-Feedback 2012
- 10 O2k-Feedback 2011
- 11 O2k-Feedback 2010
- 12 O2k-Feedback 2009
- 13 O2k-Feedback 2008
- 14 O2k-Feedback 2007
- 15 O2k-Feedback 2006
- 16 O2k-Feedback 2005
- 17 O2k-Feedback 2004
- 18 O2k-Feedback 2003
- 19 O2k-Feedback highlights
- The video support describing the technical aspects of operating and servicing the O2Ks are a fantastic resource for users. I have also used the troubleshooting flowchart to diagnose and self-service routine issues. The active user forums and O2k-Network serve as a rich source of protocols, shared knowledge, and information on all topics related to bioenergetics and mitochondria. - Timothy Koves, O2k-Network lab: US NC Durham Koves TR
- I provided my .dld files and my doubts were answered fast and clearly. - Tremblay Nelly , Alfred Wegener Institute, Helmholtz Centre for Polar and Marine Research, DE
- I would like to thank you for your fast reply and your clear explanations. We followed your advices ; improving the way we were collecting the fibers and oxygenating the medium definitely solved our problems! Thank you for your excellent support!! - Olivia Zanoletti, O2k-Network lab: CH_Lausanne_Sandi C
- What I liked the most about the Virtual On-site Visit was the helpful disposition of the Oroboros Team. They made this course possible amidst the current situation (COVID-19). - Ayelen Melina Santamans Recchini, Spanish National Centre for Cardiovascular Research (CNIS), Spain
- The teachers handling the Virtual On-site Visit were really good. Tips regarding reagents and know-how on situations one can face while carrying out mitochondrial experiments were really useful. - Ignacio Heras Murillo, Spanish National Centre for Cardiovascular Research (CNIS), Spain
- It has been a pleasure to work with your Oxygraph-devices during the last 13 years. Extremely robust machines. - Therkelsen Arent Ib, O2k-Network Lab: DK Copenhagen Quistorff B
- Great workshop! Great, friendly people! It was very educational and enjoyable! It was my pleasure! Thank you! - Participant of IOC139
- ..., thank you very much for the kind, useful and quick support you provided. Everybody told me in advance how nice and efficient your technical support team was and I have to recognize they were right." - Riccardo Ton, Macquarie University (AU)
- Science would be more efficient if the Oroboros philosophy was applied in all domains. Thank you. - Participant of IOC115
- Workshop-Feedback 2016
- » IOC109
- Workshop-Feedback 2016
- We are very happy with two Oroboros machines in our experiments and also during teaching in practical courses. High sensitivity of the instrument with a smart software combined with a very nice personal support is an excellent result of the excellent group of Oroboros . Jitka Zurmanova, O2k-Network Lab: CZ Prague Kalous M
- (...) we are working with Oroboros every day now, measuring neuronal cells - everything looks perfect! I should have bought it long time ago. Galkin Alexander, Queen's University Belfast (UK)
- Workshop-Feedback 2015
- » IOC100
- Workshop-Feedback 2015
- » IOC104
- » IOC106
- It was a delight to meet you at UMDF in Pittsburgh and a delight to read your “Blue Book.” As a scientist re-learning mitochondriology, the Blue Book was extremely helpful, as is your Bioblast Glossary. You and OROBOROS are doing a significant service to the scientific community! - Peter J Oates PhD, Sr Director, Research, Stealth Peptides Inc, Newton, MA, USA. Peter.Oates@StealthPeptides.com - www.linkedin.com/oatespj
- I have been a proud O2k user for the last year and a half, and I and my colleagues have gotten so much use out of our first instrument that we would like to explore the purchase of a second system. Thank you so much for your kind assistance! - Joshua P Fessel, O2k-Network Lab: CZ Prague Neuzil J, US TN Nashville Fessel JP.
- Thank you for the "Blue book"! I was surprised when I found the conference 2013 book with the Blue book [...] and I felt disappointed because I couldn't attend the conference... This book is full of interesting topics, lectures and abstracts! - Igor Golic, University of Belgrade, Cell and Tissue Biology Dept, RS.
- Workshop-Feedback 2014
- » IOC88
- Workshop-Feedback 2014
- » IOC89
- » IOC91
- Thank you very much. I have never worked with a company with this fantastic information system. - Morales-Alamo D.
- "High resolution designs (i.e., O2k, Oroboros Instruments) maximize respirometric sensitivity and precision (minimal O2 leak and highly sensitive electrodes), reducing the biological sample size required. Software advances in flux derivations of changes in chamber PO2 also permit real-time reporting of respiratory kinetics (Datlab, Oroboros Instruments), which improves data analyses over other systems requiring visual assessments of steady-state kinetics." - Perry CG, Kane DA, Lanza IR, Neufer PD (2013) Methods for assessing mitochondrial function in diabetes. Diabetes 62: 1041-53. »PMID: 23520284. O2k-Network Labs: CA Guelph Holloway GP, CA Toronto Perry CG, US NC Greenville Neufer PD, CA Antigonish Kane DA, US MN Rochester Nair KS.
- Workshop-Feedback 2013
- » IOC74
- Workshop-Feedback 2013
- » IOC75
- » IOC79
- I'm very impressed and love the logo. - I just have to say it … again, I love your logo. - Anna Gibson, MRC National Institute for Medical Research, UK.
- We are so happy with the performance of our two Oroboros machines that we are considering buying a couple more. We tested permeabilized muscle fibers and liver samples, always obtaining an excellent performance. The resolution of the machines goes largely beyond my most optimistic expectations and, so far, I am very positively impressed with their accuracy and experimental possibilities! - Carlos Canto, O2k-Network Lab: CH Lausanne Canto C.
- Workshop-Feedback 2012
- » IOC66
- Workshop-Feedback 2012
- » IOC67
- » IOC68
- » IOC72
- Actually, we are very satisfied with the results that we are producing with the Oxygraph-2k. - Silvia Maria Suter Correia Cadena, Curitiba, Paraná, Brasil.
- Workshop-Feedback 2011
- » IOC61
- Our project is now accepted by the French polar institute (IPEV) and we plan to install a respirometry system in Antarctica! I already worked on the Oroboros in my previous laboratory in Canada and, to my opinion, it’s the best and more accurate system for our project. - Caroline Romestaing, O2k-Network Lab: FI Helsinki Mervaala E.
- I came across your website and found excellent information for instrumentation, protocols and solutions. - Steven Dworetzky, Knopp Neurosciences, Pittsburgh, PA, USA.
- ... For an independent perspective on the Oroboros Oxygraph-2k, we think they are fantastic, fullstop. We have had no real issues in almost four years. I started with the general system which requires water baths etc and really it was baptism of fire, and when we got the Oroboros -O2k it was a different world. Our only issue now is we need more of them now. Perhaps the best part of our dealings with Oroboros is Erich's groups outstanding efforts to provide detailed methods and protocols for both the machines and experiments. ... - Anthony JR Hickey, O2k-Network Lab: NZ Auckland Hickey AJ.
- ... regarding the Seahorse ... they were adament that their instrument was useful for quantitative measurements, even though the vast majority of the data was expressed as fold-change, or % control. In the end, they said that their system was more complimentary to existing oxygraphs, and even suggested that the Seahorse be used for optimization experiments to determine the best conditions for O2k experiments. - Daniel A Kane O2k-Network Lab: CA Antigonish Kane DA, US NC Greenville Neufer PD.
- First of all I´d like to say that I´m very happy with the O2k system. I have used it quite a lot lately, mainly doing phosphorylation control titrations with intact podocytes and I have not have any problems, except for a few small ones relating to software. - Ilkka J Miinalainen, O2k-Network Lab: IE Dublin Miinalainen I.
- We continue to "spread the word" about the Oroboros with our colleagues at meetings and conferences. As with all quality products, I'm not surprised to hear that demand is steady, even in the face of economic hardships. Yours has the added benefit of sophisticated science and precision manufacturing, which exponentially increases its value. Darrell Neufer and I have a big paper being published in JCI on this upcoming Monday (on-line first). There is Oroboros data all over it. Many more papers are currently being written, as we've been using our O2k's at maximal capacity for the past two years! Would it be possible for you to send a small stack of your "Blue Book of Mitochondria" with the new O2k? It's really an invaluable resource for students and new people that join the lab. - Ethan J Anderson, O2k-Network Lab: US NC Greenville Anderson EJ, US NC Greenville Neufer PD.
- I thought you might be interested to know more about my research and my success stories using your Oroboros . I investigated mitochondrial capacity in cardiac muscle fibers of a common model of dietary-induced insulin resistance mice and successfully presented parts of my results at the 2008 Annual Obesity Meeting, Phoenix, Arizona. I received so many positive feedbacks on my study. I am planning on developing my area of research from animals to humans, if it would be possible. I am very proud of what I have achieved during the last year. Starting with basic knowledge about mitochondria and Oroboros , I have been able to find my way through the mitochondria respiratory world. This achievement wouldn’t be possible without your help and support. - Zahra E Zadeh, O2k-Network Lab: CA Montreal Hepple RT.
- The assemblage and tests of O2K have been finished and some trials have been conducted for TCM research. - Canghai Li PhD, China Academy of Chinese Medical Sciences, Beijing, P.R.China.
- I have been studying respiration in cells and in animals, and plan to include mitochondria. Your website will be a valuable resource. My students will find it interesting. - Dennis G Searcy PhD, Professor of Biology, University of Massachusetts, MA, USA.
- .. feedback about the O2K. I am very impressed. The last 3 years I've done many expts. on mito respiration in permeabilized fibers using a Hansatech electrode, which worked fine and was suitable for our needs at the time. But I equate going from that system to the O2K to starting with a Honda Accord and going to an Infiniti or a Mercedes C-class. Once you've had a taste of high-performance, there's no going back. :) - Ethan J Anderson, O2k-Network Lab: US NC Greenville Anderson EJ, US NC Greenville Neufer PD.
- Our Oxygraph-2k is in daily use and is a truly wonderful instrument. I may be forced to buy a second one. - I am very interested in the TPP+ electrode development. Please keep us in mind as a potential "beta" testing site. - James P Bennett O2k-Network Lab: US VA Richmond Bennett JP, US VA Richmond Iyer S.
- I have been working with CS using your protocol (Laboratory Protocol Citrate Synthase), which I found to be extremely helpful and very well-written. Thank you, very good job! - Nikolai Chepelev MSc, Biology Student, Carleton University, Ottawa, Canada.
- Your web page provides the clearest, most concise explanations I have ever read on why mitochondrial substrates are used as they are (glutamate, malate, etc...). - Florian L. Muller PhD., Dept of Cell and Structural Biology, University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio, TX, USA.
- See also O2k-course IOC32-Feedback.
- Concerning our three Oxygraph-2k, they are all running smoothly like Swiss clocks (Austrian clocks, if you like...). My college, Morten, who also joined the IOC32 in April 2006, has been using the instruments almost every day through the entire summer for some permeabilised muscle experiments. He reports that all three have been pleasantly stable and well-behaven, and that electrode-membrane replacements have been rare. Only weak spot seems to be the cable connection in the bottom of the electrode holder. The cable does not like to be touched, bent, or moved about during data acquisition. Some stabilisation of the cable entry into the electrode holder might possibly be a point for improvement in later generation design. Last week of August, we took the three instruments to the nearby veterinarian school in order to perform measurements on 40 biopsies from sheep. Those were busy days for all three persons involved, but also quite satisfactory, as there was not a single mishap with either samples or machines. As to the Savitzky-Golay filter [Oxygen Flux and Time Resolution] and two second sampling intervals, we have found that for all experiments performed in our lab up until now, we never needed to do it any differently. We have not yet had the need for rapid transition measurements, but we have tried, once, to run the data acquisition at full pelt, just for the fun of it. - Ib Therkelsen Arent, O2k-Network Lab: DK Copenhagen Quistorff B.
- ... Now my Ok2 is operating soooooooooo well, and the problem of analysis of the mito data has been solved successfully as you said me [Oxygen Flux and Time Resolution]. I reduced the mitochondrial concentration (from 0.5 to 0.3 mg protein/ml ) and I´ve reduced the data recording interval to the minimum of 0.2 s too. After ADP additon the slope increases sharply and returns to state 4 with similar values to State 2 ones, resulting in a higher RCR. - Ana López Ramírez, O2k-Network Lab: ES Granada Acuna-Castroviejo D.
- We are delighted with our O2k! It is obviously a very sensitive piece of equipment and the DatLab software makes using it very easy. The respiratory state of our cell lines will be important information for our group. I must be honest though, with no background in respirometry or with the O2k, I would have been lost without all the very helpful instruction I received in Shrocken. Thank you for making our use of this fine machine possible! - Paula Keeney, O2k-Network Lab: US VA Richmond Bennett JP.
- The following review of one of your products has been left by a SelectScience.net member:
- Getting Oroboros was a natural choice. - Hong Kyu Lee, Seoul National University Hospital, South Korea.
- We have an Oroboros -2k which is a perfect machine. On the web-site you will find all material relevant to this machine, including mito isolation protocols and an estimate of the amount of tissue needed. The Oroboros simultaneously runs respirometry in 2 two ml chambers. The large volume is advantageous as this implies your mitos can respire for quite a while without running out of oxygen. As the sensors are fairly sensitive and stable you do not really need much tissue. ... you may consider to run the assays not on isolated mitos but on permeabilized cardiomyocytes (we run analyses on permeabilized muscle biopsies ..). The advantage is that this may need less tissue; .. the machine can do wonderful things. If you decide to buy one I can certainly advise you to run the course Erich offers as it is by far the best way to get some feeling of what can be achieved with the machine. - Matthijs Hesselink, O2k-Network Lab: NL Maastricht Schrauwen P.
- Polarography is a technique that we have been using routinely in the lab for mitochondrial research or the diagnosis of mitochondrial diseases, and so far the Oroboros Oxygraph is the best in terms of sensitivity and reproducibility. Respiratory studies with cells give good results with about 5 10E5 cells/ml , and depending on the cell type you can go down to 1E5. We used primary myoblasts, keratinocytes, lymphocytes and a variety or cancer cells, permeabilized or not. You can also utilize permeabilized muscle fibers of about 3 mg each. The good point is that you can measure the oxygen consumption of the electrode (noise) and the oxygen diffusion inside the machine in a pre-experiment, that you remove from your respiration data. For kinetic studies you can also take into account the time constant response of the electrode (that increases with time) that can also be measured. What must be pointed out, is that this Oxygraph is the only one that allows to work at very low (physiological and even hypoxic) oxygen concentrations, what cannot be performed with classic systems that are not oxygen-proof enough. Also, the software is powerful and the new version more user-friendly as older versions. Recently, this company developed a new stopper that allows to fit in electrodes or optic fibers that allow to measure bioenergetic or cellular parameters concomitantly to oxygen consumption rate. - Rodrigue Rossignol O2k-Network Lab: FR Bordeaux Rossignol R.
- I have been working with the Oroboros Oxygraph-2k since two years now, and concerning the sensitivity I can say, that I obtained reliable results even with cell numbers of about 0.1 Mill cells/ml, which would correspond to a cellular protein concentration of about 0.3 mg/ml. - Evi Hütter O2k-Network Lab: AT Innsbruck Jansen-Duerr P.
- I have been using the Oxygraph-2k for two years and due to its sensitivity I can use it to measure the respiration of intact fibroblasts from one 75 sq.cm culture flask - that could be like 0.2 mg/ml of protein and I guess it might be possible to go even lower with the protein concentration. With isolated mitochondria, measurements at 0.025 mg/ml are feasible. I must say I am very satisfied with the instrument, but frankly I have never used any other oxygen electrode so my opinion is not unbiased. - Petr Pecina O2k-Network Lab: CZ Prague Houstek J.
- Your new machine is amazingly confortable to work with. Time constants are really good and the new software used to drive the machine is more convenient than the previous DatLab 2 acquisition program ! We have very nice results on skinned fibers from pig or rat heart. Signals and biological samples are really stable over a large time scale, which is needed to perform accurate ADP titrations. We would like to buy another Oroboros Oxygraph 2k. This would allow two persons of the lab to perform large scale and simultaneous studies on isolated mitochondria, myocardic cells and skinned fibers. - Bertrand Beauvoit O2k-Network Lab: FR Pessac Diolez P.
- Hello Erich: The O2k-Workshop was again exquisite and informative, and your knowledge begs those who yearn to learn. Interesting how many ideas within the talent of those gathered, young and senior, create an atmosphere for discovery. Also, thank you for all your altruistic help with my projects. - Robert C Boushel, O2k-Network Lab: CA Montreal Bergdahl A, DK Copenhagen Dela F, SE Stockholm Boushel RC.
- Highlights »O2k-Feedback