The mitochondrial membrane potential, mtMP, is the electric part of the protonmotive force, ΔpH+.
Δψ = ΔpH+ - ΔµH+ / F
mtMP or Δψ is the potential difference across the inner mitochondrial (mt) membrane, expressed in the electric unit of volt [V]. Electric force of the mitochondrial membrane potential is the electric energy change per ‘motive’ electron or per electron moved across the transmembrane potential difference, with the number of ‘motive’ electrons expressed in the unit coulomb [C].
The chemical part of the protonmotive force, µH+ / F stems from the difference of pH across the mt-membrane. It contains a factor that bridges the gap between the electric force [J/C] and the chemical force [J/mol]. This factor is the Faraday constant, F, for conversion between electric force expressed in joules per coulomb or Volt [V=J/C] and chemical force with the unit joules per mole or Jol [Jol=J/mol],
F = 96.4853 kJol/V = 96,485.3 C/mol
Abbreviation: mtMP, Δψ [V]
Communicated by Gnaiger E 2012-10-05, edited 2016-02-06, 2017-09-05.
- » Keywords: Force and membrane potential
This information is part of O2k-Open Support.
Different methods for measurements of mt-membrane potential
- mt-Membrane potential can either be measured in the O2k-FluoRespirometer fluorometrically by using the fluorophores TMRM or Safranin, or potentiometrically with the O2k-TPP+ ISE-Module electrode by using the ion reporter TPP+. All mentioned ion indicator molecules inhibit respiration, which makes it essential to test the optimum concentration.
High-resolution respirometry and mt-membrane potential
- Data analysis of mitochondrial membrane potential estimation using various fluorescence dyes: MiPNet24.09 General Template for Mt-membrane Potential Analysis to calculate the relative mt-membrane potential values.
- Data analysis of mitochondrial membrane potential estimation with safranin using DatLab 7.4: MiPNet24.08 Safranin Analysis Template to express the mt-membrane potential values in mV.
- The calculation used to calculate the mt-membrane potential values are provided here complying with Oroboros transparancy policy, see the following page: Safranin
- for detailed explanaition, see MiPNet24.11 mtMP calculation
SUITbrowser question: Mitochondrial membrane potential
MitoPedia topics: EAGLE