MitoPedia O2k and high-resolution respirometry: O2k-Open Support
O2k-Peltier Temperature Control: Built-in electronic thermostat controlling temperature for two O2k-chambers in the range of 4 to 47 °C; ±0.002 °C (at room temperature). Continuous recording of the O2k-Copper Block temperature with DatLab. Temperature change from 20 to 30 °C within 15 min; cooling from 30 to 20 °C within 20 min. Integral component of the O2k-Main Unit. The electronic temperature control of the O2k replaced the conventional water jacket.
Lower limit of experimental temperature
- From O2k-Series E there is a more efficient temperature management system in comparison compared to previous series. At an ambient temperature of 21.1 °C, a stable Peltier power of about 83% reached 0 °C from 37 °C in about 1 h.
- For an ambient temperature of 25 °C, the O2k-Chamber can reach lower temperatures down to 4 °C. The use of temperatures lower than 4 °C is not within our O2k-specifications, as such the quality control parameters under these conditions are not guaranteed. We recommend taking special precautions with a set temperature of 0.5 °C as it could potentially damage the O2k-Chambers or any other component.
- For experiments at 0 °C, the O2k can be exposed to ambient temperatures slightly above 0 °C (all the electronic components are evaluated under minimum temperatures of 0 °C, which should be avoided due to condensation concerns). For low room temperatures close to 0 °C a humidity control system should be used.
- With O2k-Series D a stable chamber temperature of 0 °C was obtained at a room temperature of ~14 °C. The cooling power of the Peltier element reached 95% of its maximum capacity.
- To use temperatures lower than our O2k-specifications , see test experiments on O2k-Specifications. Please note that to reach a lower ambient temperature needed for experiments at 2 °C, a cold room is not necessarily required; an air-conditioned room should suffice.
Block temperature does not increase while heating with full power
- Customer ID: Stier A, FI_Turku_Nikinmaa M
Our O2k (likely bought in 2004) seems to have a problem of temperature control (error message + T°C staying at RT despite a set T°C of 40°C). Following the instructions of DatLab_error_messages; I switched it off and on (likely > 10 times), tried with an older version of the software and different temperature (20 to 40°C), but nothing seems to fix the issue. Representative data is attached (2020-04-22).
- Answer: See DatLab error: Average block temperature over past 10 min has not reached set temperature and DatLab error: Block temperature does not increase while heating with full power. If the problem persists, the O2k-Peltier Temperature Control has an electronic defect and the O2k-Main Unit has to be sent to the electronics workshop of OROBOROS for service.
MitoPedia O2k and high-resolution respirometry: O2k hardware