Abbreviation: AOX (ce CN+SHAM)
Reference: A: Determination of the respiration due to the alternative oxidase pathway
- SUIT protocol pattern: ce1;ce2KCN;ce3SHAM
The SUIT-022 provides an estimation of mitochondrial respiration in cells through the Q-alternative oxidase pathway (Q-AOX), which is antimycin A- and cyanide resistant. This protocol must be complemented with the study in parallel of mitochondrial respiration due to the CIII- cytochrome c oxidase pathway (CIII-CIV; see SUIT-023).
Communicated by Huete-Ortega M, Gnaiger E (last update 2021-03-23)
Specific SUIT protocols
SUIT-022 O2 ce D051
- SUIT-022 O2 ce D051 for living microalgal cells (ce)
Steps and respiratory states
|Step||State||Pathway||Q-junction||Comment - Events (E) and Marks (M)|
|ce2KCN||ROUTINE or ROX||ce1;ce2KCN
- Bioblast links: SUIT protocols - >>>>>>> - Click on [Expand] or [Collapse] - >>>>>>>
- Pathway control
Strengths and limitations
- SUIT-022 provides an estimation of the cyanide-and antimycin A-resistant mitochondrial respiration due to the activity of alternative oxidase in cells on ROUTINE. To complement the study with the estimation of mitochondrial respiration due to the CIII-CIV pathway, it must be carried out in parallel to SUIT-023.
- + This protocol can be used with many types of cells, although optimal concentrations of inhibitors have to be determined.
- + Short duration of experiment
- - No estimation of coupling control
- - The use of cyanide requires careful cleaning of the chambers after use and careful handling of the chemical to guarantee health safety.
Compare SUIT protocols
MitoPedia methods: Respirometry