Abbreviation: AOX-ce SHAM+CN
Reference: A Determination of the respiration due to the cytochrome c oxidase pathway -SUIT-023
SUIT number: D053_ce1;ce2SHAM;ce3KCN
The SUIT-023 O2 ce D053 provides an estimation of mitochondrial respiration in microalgal living cells through the CIII-cytochrome c oxidase pathway (CIII-CIV), which is inhibited by antimycin A and cyanide. This protocol must be complemented with the study in parallel of the mitochondrial respiration through the Q-alternative oxidase pathway (see SUIT-022).
Communicated by Huete-Ortega M and Gnaiger E (last update 2021-03-23)
Steps and respiratory states
|Step||State||Pathway||Q-junction||Comment - Events (E) and Marks (M)|
|ce2SHAM||ROUTINE OR ROX||ce1;ce2SHAM
- Bioblast links: SUIT protocols - >>>>>>> - Click on [Expand] or [Collapse] - >>>>>>>
- Pathway control
Strengths and limitations
- + Short duration of experiment
- - No estimation of coupling control
- - The use of cyanide requires careful cleaning of the chambers after use and careful handling of the chemical to guarantee health safety.
Compare SUIT protocols
- SUIT-022 O2 ce D051 has to be used in parallel to obtain complete information of the contribution of the Q-AOX and CIII-CIV pathways to mitochondrial respiration.
Chemicals and syringes
|Step||Chemical(s) and link(s)||Comments|
|ce2SHAM||Salicylhydroxamic acid (SHAM)|
- Suggested stock concentrations are shown in the specific DL-Protocol.
MitoPedia methods: Respirometry