Sugimura 2012 J Reprod Dev

From Bioblast
Jump to: navigation, search
Publications in the MiPMap
Sugimura S, Matoba S, Hashiyada Y, Aikawa Y, Ohtake M, Matsuda H, Kobayashi S, Konishi K, Imai K. (2012) Oxidative phosphorylation-linked respiration in individual bovine oocytes. J Reprod Dev 58:636-41.

» PMID: 22785440 Open Access

Sugimura S, Matoba S, Hashiyada Y, Aikawa Y, Ohtake M, Matsuda H, Kobayashi S, Konishi K, Imai K. (2012) J Reprod Dev

Abstract: Mitochondrial bioenergetics in mammalian oocytes has not been sufficiently characterized. In this study, the function of oxidative phosphorylation (OXPHOS), a major pathway in mitochondria, was investigated in individual bovine oocytes by monitoring oxygen consumption using modified scanning electrochemical microscopy (SECM). At the germinal vesicle (GV) stage, 65% of basal respiration was used for mitochondrial respiration, which was inhibited by complex IV inhibitor. Around 63% of mitochondrial respiration was coupled to ATP synthesis, as determined by sensitivity to an ATP synthase inhibitor, and the remaining 37% was attributed to proton leak. In contrast, 50% and 43% of mitochondrial respiration were used for ATP synthesis in in vivo- and in vitro-derived metaphase II (MII)-stage oocytes, respectively. ATP-linked respiration, in both in vivo- and in vitro-derived MII-stage oocytes, was significantly lower than in GV-stage oocytes, suggesting that OXPHOS in bovine oocytes is more active at the GV stage compared with the MII stage. Interestingly, basal respiration in in vitro-derived MII oocytes was significantly higher than for in vivo-derived oocytes, reflecting an increase in proton leak. Next, we assessed respiration in MII oocytes cultured for 8 h. The aged oocytes had a significantly reduced maximum respiratory capacity, which was stimulated by a mitochondrial uncoupler, and reduced ATP-linked respiration compared with non-aged oocytes. However, the aging-related phenomenon could be prevented by caffeine treatment. We conclude that OXPHOS in bovine oocytes varies in the transition from GV to MII stage, in vitro maturation and the aging process. This approach will be particularly useful for analyzing mitochondrial bioenergetics in individual mammalian oocytes.

Keywords: Bovine, Mitochondrial function, Oocyte, Oxidative Phosphorylation, Oxygen consumption


Labels: MiParea: Respiration, Developmental biology  Pathology: Aging;senescence 

Organism: Bovines  Tissue;cell: Genital  Preparation: Intact cells 


Coupling state: LEAK, ROUTINE, ET