Vujacic-Mirski 2023 MiP2023
Link: MiP2023 Obergurgl AT
Vujacic-Mirski Ksenija (2023)
Event: MiP2023 Obergurgl AT
Authors: Vujacic-Mirski Ksenija, Sudowe S
The impairment of mitochondrial respiration, observed in neurodegenerative and cardiovascular disease, diabetes, cancer and migraine headaches, has emerged as a biomarker of mitochondrial dysfunctions . Newer research are also trying to link conditions such as chronic fatigue, depression and other behaviour/mood disorders with mitochondrial malfunctioning .
In our study, we examined 88 (relatively) healthy volunteers, ages from 23 to 68, from which 36 individuals were taking some sort of medication (such as for asthma, high blood pressure, mood disorders), but they considered themselves fit and healthy. Volunteers were ask to follow their normal routines day prior the test. The blood was drawn 3 h before PBMCs isolation, followed by immediate Seahorse XF Cell Mito Stress Test (Agilent) on SeahorseXF96e instrument (Agilent). Our analysis consisted of carefully examining parameters of mitochondrial respiration: basal respiration, ATP-linked respiration, reserve capacity, maximal respiration, proton leak, non-mitochondrial respiration as well as bioenergetics health index (BHI) .
We observed difference between people who took some sort of medication for chronic but manageable comorbidities and completely healthy individuals. There was significant difference between BHI, reserve capacity, coupling efficiency and proton leak. We also observed that people who had regular sport activities (in the healthy group without any medication) seem to have lower proton leak. This difference was not significant but points out to the lifestyle impact to mitochondria .
- Petrus, A T et al. (2019) Assessment of platelet respiration as emerging biomarker of disease. https://doi.org/10.33549/physiolres.934032
- Zvěřová M et al. (2019) Disturbances of mitochondrial parameters to distinguish patients with depressive episode of bipolar disorder and major depressive disorder. https://doi.org/10.2147/NDT.S188964
- Chacko, Balu K et al. (2014) The Bioenergetic Health Index: a new concept in mitochondrial translational research. https://doi.org/10.1042/CS20140101
- Janssen, Joëlle J E et al. (2022) Extracellular flux analyses reveal differences in mitochondrial PBMC metabolism between high-fit and low-fit females. https://doi.org/10.1152/ajpendo.00365.2021
- Vujacic-Mirski K, Sudowe S
- GANZIMMUN Diagnostics GmbH, Hans-Böckler-Straße 109, 55128, Mainz, Germany