- Bioenergetics Communications is the Open Access journal for publishing scientific and technical advances in bioenergetics and mitochondrial physiology in Living Communications
- Publications in Bioenergetics Communications include a title, authors and affiliations, author contributions, an introduction (presenting the purpose of the publication), materials and methods, results, a discussion or conclusions, references, and acknowledgements. However, it is not necessary to follow a fixed format, e.g., the authors may choose to place the materials and methods section before the results or at the end before the references, and the discussion section can be separated from the results, or both sections can be merged. Thus authors can focus on the quality of their work instead of following the stereotype of a journal format.
- The publications are accompanied by a folder with the original data (e.g. DLD files with the raw data).
- Manuscripts must adhere to SI units and IUPAC recommendations. MitoEAGLE recommendations on terms and symbols are to be implemented.
- The authors are encouraged to release the manuscript as a preprint in the MitoFit Preprint Archives at the time of BEC submission, if it is not already a preprint.
- Authors submit the manuscript to BEC Open Peer Review. Besides the manuscript, authors will provide a declaration of (1) responsibility for the content, (2) consent of all co-authors, (3) having performed the experimental work in accordance with the ethical standards for research particularly when using humans or animals, and (4) appropriate declarations of conflicts of interest. The authors will also suggest one or two Associate Editors and three reviewers, avoiding any conflict of interest.
From preprint to publication
- The preprint is part of a stepwise process:
- MitoFit Preprint Archives is the fast lane of Open Access communication without peer review. Authors should indicate if the submission to Bioenergetics Communications shall be published as a preprint in the MitoFit Preprint Archives.
- The manuscript is immediately delegated to our Associate Editors or Section Editors and checked for suitability for publishing in both Bioenergetics Communications and MitoFit Preprint Archives if applicable.
- Communication with the authors to plan the non-anonymous Open Peer Review process. Up to three reviewers should be suggested by the authors.
- » For details see: Living Communications
Open Peer Review
- From MitoFit Preprint to Open Peer Review is standard for BEC. We accept an opt out option from an author when presented with a reasonable explanation. Further clarification may be requested. The editorial board may choose not to accept the explanation and potentially reject the manuscript (not the preprint).
- One or two Associate Editors and three reviewers should be suggested by the authors, avoiding any conflict of interest.
- For more information on the Open Peer Review process, please see: »BEC reviewers - Open Peer Review«
- The Journal policies can be found here:
- » Bioenergetics Communications Policies
- (1) Journal policies on authorship and contributorship;
- (2) How the journal will handle complaints and appeals
- (3) Journal policies on conflicts of interest / competing interests;
- (4) Journal policies on data sharing and reproducibility
- (5) Journal's policy on ethical oversight
- (6) Journal's policy on intellectual property;
- (7) Permanency of content, peer review process, and Journal's options for post-publication discussions and corrections.
- (8) Allegations of research misconduct
Bioenergetics Communications is part of the H2020 NextGen-O2k project
MitoPedia topics: BEC