MitoPedia alert - 2022
- Currently Answered Questions from the »Oroboros Ecosystem Agenda«
||How does proficiency testing help achieve quality and reproducibility? |
Providing a pre-established set of testing criteria improves and standardizes technical performance.
- »Proficiency test«
- communicated by »Baglivo Eleonora« and »Tindle-Solomon Lisa«
|| BEC tutorial: Did you know that a cell respiring O2 at 100 amol·s-1·x-1 consumes 60 million O2 molecules per second per cell? |
Apply the Avogadro constant and SI prefixes: 100 (amol O2)·s-1·(x cell)-1 = 60.2·106 (x O2)·s-1·(x cell)-1
|| Why do we perform multiple H2O2 calibrations in the Amplex® UltraRed assay?|
The sensitivity to H2O2 of the fluorometric signal changes during the experiment as a function of: (1) experimental time and accumulating UltroxRed (similar to resorufin), (2) changes of the optical properties due to titrations, and (3) the radical scavenging capacity of the sample. Therefore, H2O2 calibrations are performed before and after sample addition, and after selected titration steps.
- »Amplex UltraRed« and »Komlodi et al BEC 2021.4«
|| What are the substrate-uncoupler-inhibitor titration reference protocols?|
These protocols provide a common baseline for comparison of mitochondrial respiratory control in a large variety of species, tissues and cell types, mt-preparations and laboratories.
- » SUIT reference protocol«
- communicated by »Cardoso Luiza HD« and »Tindle-Solomon Lisa«
Body mass M and mass m - what is the difference? Consult MitoPedia for a comment on body mass versus body weight.|
- »Body mass with a link to mitObesity«
||Do you want to find the best SUIT protocol for your research questions? |
- Use the SUITbrowser: »SUITbrowser«
- "Assuming a publication charge of € 1200 per article, scientists mentioning mitochondria or photosynthesis pay € 100 000 every day in 2021 for ‘selling’ their output to publishers ― over € 36 Mill per year."
- - Gnaiger E (2021) Beyond counting papers – a mission and vision for scientific publication. https://doi.org/10.26124/bec:2021-0005
- - »Paywall journalism«
||The central role of the Q-junction in mitochondria|
The Q-junction is a point of convergence in the electron transfer system. Electrons flow from different dehydrogenases and respiratory Complexes into the Q-junction and then downstream to Complex III.
- communicated by »Schmitt Sabine«
» MitoPediaAlert2021 Archive
» MitoPediaAlert2020 Archive