Oroboros Ecosystem Agenda - 2020 week 43
2020 Week 43
||Did you know that safranin can exert an inhibitory effect on mitochondrial respiration?|
Application of safranin leads to partial inhibition of NADH-linked respiration and above 2 µM on the succinate-linked respiration. By running a control high-resolution respirometry experiment without the fluorophore, you can detect and do quality control for this inhibitory effect.
- You can read more about it in the following publication: »Krumschnabel 2014 Methods Enzymol«
- communicated by »Komlodi Timea« and »Cecatto Cristiane«
||Blood cell respirometry might be an attractive alternative to skeletal- and cardiac muscle-based assessment of mitochondrial function in human studies |
- from the O2k-Network »US NC Winston-Salem Molina AJA«
- Tyrrell DJ, Bharadwaj MS, Jorgensen MJ, Register TC, Molina AJ (2016) Blood cell respirometry is associated with skeletal and cardiac muscle bioenergetics: Implications for a minimally invasive biomarker of mitochondrial health. Redox Biol 10:65-77.»Bioblast link«
|| LEAK respiration relates to intrinsic uncoupling. |
Non-phosphorylating LEAK respiration is measured in the absence of externally added uncouplers (i) in the absence of adenylates, (ii) after depletion of ADP, or (iii) after inhibition of ATP synthase or adenine nucleotide translocase.
- »BEC2020.1: Mitochondrial physiology« - Table 2. Terms on respiratory coupling and uncoupling
- communicated by »Komlodi Timea« and »Cecatto Cristiane« and »Gnaiger Erich«
||Simultaneous measurement of O2 flux and mt-membrane potential: A method to detect deficiency in mitochondrial electron transfer system |
- from the O2k-Network »AT Innsbruck Oroboros« and »AT Innsbruck Gnaiger E«
- Krumschnabel G, Eigentler A, Fasching M, Gnaiger E (2014) Use of safranin for the assessment of mitochondrial membrane potential by high-resolution respirometry and fluorometry. Methods Enzymol 542:163-81. »Bioblast link«
Oroboros of the month
- The Ouroboros symbol
- In this personal Symbology by Adam Sass, he writes
- about his discovery of the ouroboros symbol and its meaning.
- Story available here. (Sass A, 2003)
- Oroboros pictures of the month page
- 0.5-mL and 2-mL O2k-chambers - flexibility in high-resolution respirometry
- featured MitoPedia page: »Cell count and normalization in HRR«
Last update October 23, 2020
| Bioblast alert 2020(13)
|Some terms in “Mitochondrial physiology” Bioenergetics Communications 2020.1 (States and rates) did not look familiar ― what is the elementary unit [x]?
Fundamental answers, a critical discussion on the SI unit for count, and the meaning of Euclid’s unit and Euclid’s number are presented in an unusual ‘canonical review’:
- Gnaiger Erich (2020) Canonical reviewer's comments on: Bureau International des Poids et Mesures (2019) The International System of Units (SI) 9th ed. MitoFit Preprint Arch 2020.4 doi:10.26124/mitofit:200004. - »Bioblast link«